Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Not You, It's Me

You’ve met a man and he’s simply dreamy. You’ve been seeing each other for a little while now and things are going really well. So far, he seems to tick quite a few of your boxes. Let’s face it, though, you’re not 21 anymore.

You’ve had to whittle most of those “must haves” on the list down to a few basic hygiene requirements and a criminal record check.

You’re past the “Will he call?” stage. Oh, he called all right. You are having hot sex all of the time. You are a veritable sex machine. You spend every single waking moment together. When you’re not together, having hot sex, you’re talking together on the phone. For hours.Usually about how hot the sex is.

You think he may be “THE ONE”.

You know you shouldn’t, but in a slow moment at work, you doodle your first name and his last name together on a piece of paper. Upon threat of death you would never admit it, but you have pictured that walk down the isle. You see that off-white-off the-shoulder dress as clearly as you see your own increasingly lined reflection in the mirror.

So when you see him tonight and the first words out of his mouth are, “We have to talk”, you try not to get too excited. You immediately picture him asking if he can leave his toothbrush in your bathroom, a pair of his knickers in your underwear drawer and maybe, just maybe, he wants to exchange house keys.

But you know in your heart of hearts that “we need to talk” is never a good thing. Ever. It’s always, always, always the door that opens into Dumpsville. You’ve been here before, you know what it looks like. You’re intimately familiar with the terrain. The roads in Dumpsville are all paved with broken hearts.

Mostly yours.

And sure enough, he tells you his tale of woe, ending with the classic “It’s not you, it’s me”.

The different variations of “It’s not you, it’s me” include such gems as:

“I’m just at a point in my life where I need more space”
Translate: You suffocate me

“I’m not at a point in my life where I can make a commitment”
Translate: Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free

“I’m not good enough for you, you deserve better”
Translate: I was only ever here for the sex. It was never going to be anything else for me. Now that you’re getting so serious, I’m outta here

“I just don’t know what I want right now”
Translate: I’m bored and I’m off to find a new conquest

So, unless you plan to get thee to a nunnery, dig out that vibrator, get in a supply of wine and chocolate, and start calling all of those girlfriends that you ignored because you were so caught up in your new, whirlwind relationship. Have a good cry, rail against the injustice of it all and sing,“I Will Survive” at the top of your lungs repeatedly.

Because you will.

Survive.

You will eventually pack your bags and move out of Dumpsville. You’ll get a new home in Independence Land.
Your address will be something like,

Ms. I. Value Myself
123 I Am A Strong Beautiful Woman Street
I Respect Myself,
Independence Land
H0N RME

And should Mr. “It’s Not You, It’s Me” ever darken your door again, he would find himself most unwelcome.

Because you are no longer going to settle for anyone other than Mr. “I Love You Just The Way You Are”.

7 comments:

  1. One would think you had experienced this recently. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good for my super-sized ego, thanks! While I did not experience this recently, it did form a large part of the journey that brought me here today. I suspect it forms the foundation of many a woman's path. Lucky us. And when I met Mr. "I love you just the way you are", I knew him instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK GOD I don't date anymore!!! When I did date and then got married, both fizzled as men just did not care to please me. I am not interested in dating or sex and am happily going through the change of life. I'm also happier alone playing games or watching movies on my computer (I don't own a TV and haven't for more than 15 years, which is approximately the last time I dated a man as well). I'm also happier just reading my books and doing my 3D puzzles and coming up with creative ideas in gift wrapping (have you guessed who this is sista dearest?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Big Sis, I knew your voice, yes :) So you gave up men and T.V. at the same time. But you've taken up more creative pursuits instead :) I'm happy to hear that you are also starting drawing again. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Donna! Funny. I didn't know you had a blog!!
    Come visit Steve and I at - http:/schwakhofercoxon.wordpress.com
    Melinda x

    PS love to Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. PPS I didn't mean funny that you have a blog, but you're funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melinda! Thanks. Popping over to your site now....:)

    ReplyDelete